A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY
Fattoria Cigliano di Sopra is situated on a hill shaded by centuries-old holm oaks, cypresses and pine trees. The estate descends almost to the bottom of a ridge at the confluence of two streams, named Sugana and Suganella.
It was on this hill in the 14th century that the Bardi family, extremely powerful as a result of their considerable wealth, built an important complex composed of three villas and several houses and small farms. These were built, according to the demands of the era, as castles or fortified houses. This typically hill farming region had, even in Etruscan times, assumed a significant role because of its road structure which allowed Florence to develop its trade with Siena and Volterra.
Fattoria Cigliano di Sopra became the Hospital of Saint Peter of the Convalescents which then became the Royal Hospital of Santa Maria Nuova.
In 1750 the Royal Hospital of Santa Maria Nuova granted the Cigliano villa and all of its annexes to Francesco Fenzi, financial adviser to the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo 1 of Tuscany. After Francesco Fenzi, the Cigliano villa, with all its farms and buildings, then passed to Jacopo Orazio Fenzi and then, in the year 1793, to Emanuele Fenzi, business owner and founder, in 1821, of the Fenzi Bank, also called the Cassa di Sconto.
In the last years of the 18th century, the Cigliano estate passed to the Riccardi del Vernaccia family. Ortensia di Ugolino del Vernaccia and Vicenzo Riccardi (1767 – 1832) were married in 1789 and their son, Francesco Maria, was born in 1794. Following the death of his mother in childbirth, he united the family name of his father, Riccardi, with that of his mother, del Vernaccia. On the facade of the upper garden of the Cigliano villa, the coat of arms unites the key of the Riccardi family with the mountain goat of the Dal Vernaccia family. Francesco Maria Riccardi del Vernaccia, initially canon of Florence cathedral, and later chamberlain of the court of Grand Duke Leopoldo II, married Teresa di Fabio of the Feroni Marquises in 1819 with whom he had three children; Riccardo (1820 – 1847), Ortensia Maria (1821), and Giulia (1826 – 1877).
Upon the death of Francesco Maria Riccardi del Vernaccia in 1863, the Cigliano estate was left entirely to his daughter Ortensia Maria Riccardi del Vernaccia who, having married the Marquis Giacomo Ricci di Macerata and moved to the Marches, sold the estate to Michele Marini in 1872.
Michele Marini was succeeded by daughters Adele and Isolina, who subsequently sold the entire Cigliano estate to Remo Devoti, who was succeeded by his sons, Domingo and Haydee.
Upon the death of his brother Domingo, Haydee was the only remaining proprietor of the Fattoria Cigliano di Sopra. Upon his death, he was succeeded by various cousins. In 1939, by deed recorded with the notary Lapo Lapi, the entire estate was acquired by Migone Niccolo di Eugenio and Ada Lazzeri di Pietro, wax manufacturers in Florence. Migone Niccolo and Ada Lazzeri were succeeded at the property of Cigliano di Sopra by their daughters Annetta and Tecla. The estate is now the property of one of the nephews of Tecla who, with his wife and children, maintains and preserves the Fattoria.